Counter-protesting anti-trans protests across Canada
Contre-protester les manifestations anti-trans / anti-gay à travers le Canada
Protest and Counter-Protest Safety
The following are universal protest safety tips in our experience. These also appear in most protest / counterprotest guides we’ve seen.
- Travel and attend with a buddy or in groups
- Plan how you’ll get to the counter-protest and back home
- Let people know where you’re going and when you’ll be home
- Wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather
- Bring face masks, water, and snacks
- Maintain a safe distance from 1MM4C protestors.
- Do not approach, talk to, or confront people individually.
- If a 1MM4C protestor is provoking you: ignore them and walk away.
- If your counter-protest has designated safety marshalls, let them know if someone is acting aggressively (on either side)
Protest Safety Guides
If you have time to read just one of these, Egale’s 2SLGBTQI Protest Safety Guide is our recommended essential reading.